Friday, June 6, 2008

My Podcast


I’ve decided to try Podcasting. It is a little more convenient than blogging because I can mix two worlds or running with blogging and record verbally instead of writing it out and editing. So far it has been a lot of fun. There is a huge learning curve and this is what I’ve learned so far.

On running and podcasting:
1) Clarity of speech is proportional to speed and exertion. The faster you go the harder you are to understand.
2) Lapel microphones are extremely touchy. Therefore I don’t use one!
3) The amount of background noise dictates the quality of the podcast.
4) Weather controls background noise. i.e. Rain, Wind, even rain slick streets
5) You’ve got to enunciate!
6) Notes or cue cards help to keep you on track.
7) People look at you funny when you appear to be talking to yourself.
8) It is harder to run and record on trails than on roads.
9) It is hard to understand a person running uphill.
10) Trails produce better sound quality than roads.

On podcast production:
1) The amount of time you want to spend editing increases proportionately with the quality of the product.
2) It may not be rocket science but there is a science to producing quality. Experience counts!
3) The closet makes for a great sound room.
4) The tiled floors and hardwood floors do not make great sound rooms.
5) A script although initially hard to follow, takes a lot of practice and keeps you on track.

I’ve learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. I plan to take my podcast all the way to Ethiopia and my first Ultra. So you’ll see a few less blog posts and more podcasts. Stay tuned.


Check it out I'm searchable on iTunes and there is a link in the title subject line to my Podbean feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment