Friday, May 14, 2010

Episode 43: The Barefoot Debate

http://media.libsyn.com/media/ultradad/uD43_Barefoot.mp3

Well folks we've switched to Libsyn. I guess when you compare Podbean and Libsyn the two are very similar but I just liked the look of Libsyn. In the brief time that I've used it I've got to say Libsyn is by far a lot easier to use. My uploads are so much faster and user friendly because I don't have to use a ftp server to upload. On the downside I couldn't figure the whole iTunes feed thing so there is a new feed on iTunes. It is identical to the Podbean feed so the show hasn't changed much.

On today's show I wanted to put my two cents into the Barefoot Debate. I want to start by saying that I'm firmly sitting on the fence on this one. But I bring up something to think about. For example, if barefoot is suppose to be good for you by strengthening your foot because there is less support for it. You are forced to land on your forefoot etc. Then why aren't worn out running shoes just as good. The argument that a shoe wears out after so many miles baffles me now. The compression of the foam rubber cushioning is a slow transition. And doesn't the foot adapt to the changing conditions of the shoe?

Do you remember the article mentioned in Born to Run about the foot strike impact of barefoot runners and shod runners? That the impact was actually less with the barefoot guys and the adaptation of shod to barefoot was immediate. Based on this information I would think if a shoe wears out in 500 miles the foot strike, impact force and stride would slowly adapt over the 500 miles so that at mile zero you may be a heel striker but at mile 500 you transition to forefoot more to balance out the loss of cushioning. Does that make sense? I don't know it's just food for thought.   Give it a listen at the above link and thanks for dropping by.

PS the feet I use in my id tag are my daughters.  We are on the beach at La Jolla in California.  Aren't they cute?

1 comment:

  1. A little down time will do your body and hunger good. I know what you mean - Balance family (wife and kids), work demands, running, school activities, yard work,...But I wouldn't want it any other way. This in my opinion is getting everything you can out of life. You only get one shot at it!

    ReplyDelete